Learn Effective Communication Skills
Effective Communication is a Vital Life-Skill.
Today, I’d like to focus on learning How to Communicate More Effectively.
So, what is effective communication?
Effective Communication is the ability to speak or write in a way that makes it easy for your recepients or listeners to “get” the meaning of your communication. Unless people understand exactly what you mean to say or write, they will not understand you.
Poor Communication Skills Can Cause You a Lot of Trouble.
– You can make your relationship quite miserable if your communication skills are poor – that will make it difficult for you and your partner to have a happy relationship.
– You can make your children very unhappy if you, as a parent, lack good communication skills.
– You can make life quite difficult for yourself if you are always expecting other people to read your mind, instead of telling them exactly what you are feeling, what you are thinking, or what you would like them to do for you.
Here’s an example of a poor communication style at a workplace.
John: “Boss, I’d like to do better at my job and rise to a higher position, but I feel I can’t because I’m not competent enough.”
Boss: “Well, that’s a pity, John. If you lack competency, we won’t be able to promote you when a position is available”.
John is distressed by his boss’s response. It looks like he has just shot himself on the foot!
Here’s an example of a better communication style:
Sarah would like a promotion in the next few months, but she knows that she needs to improve her skills before she could be promoted to that higher position.
She goes to her Boss.
Sarah: “Boss, I am interested in applying for the post of Head of Department in my Curriculum area. Would it be possible for you to show me what training or course I need, in order to qualify to apply for that post when the time comes?. I would be grateful for your kind guidance.”
Boss: “That’s great to hear, Sarah. Sure. There are two or three courses that can help you prepare for leadership. They come out in April. I’ll give you the information when it’s out and the School can sponsor you!”
Sarah: “Oh, that’s great! Thank you so much!”
The difference in the results of these two conversations is clear:
John did not know exactly what position he wanted and so, was very confused on what he wanted to tell the boss.He also seemed to lack confidence in himself.
On the other hand, Sarah knew exactly what she wanted and she was not afraid to say it clearly to the Boss, and also ask for help and guidance on what to do next.
Always make sure your points are clearly stated.
How to Improve Your Communication Skills, especially in a public place, at an interview, or in your workplace.
- Write down what you want to say, to make sure that it is easy to understand. Then practise saying it beforehand. When you are sure that your point is clear, then go to the person you want to speak to and say what you have already practised as confidently as possible.
- Read up on a point you want to make, if you are not quite sure exactly how to put out the details.
- Practise what you want to say with a family member or a friend. That way, you will get a kind but honest feedback, before you go to say it to that all important person.
- If you need to make a speech, make sure you take some time to plan, write and practise your speech several times and several days before your actual delivery date. You can practise it in front of your mirror, if you have no one at home to listen to you.
If you need help with your Communication Skills, especially in your relationship, choose one of these Courses on Relationships on this page and you will have a whole Module on Communication Skills that will help you keep your relationship very happy. Choose either – “How to Find and Recognize Your True Love”, or “How to Keep the Fire Of Love Burning For Life”.
Here’s to Your Success!